Sunday, May 4, 2008

Just Another Day

Just another day, another weekend day. Today.

So, being one nice spring day with the sun out and a gentle breeze, I went out to do some yard work. The neighbors were doing likewise. The male neighbors mostly.

But the neighbor in the back and I got into a very short conversation because of his pooch. She had wandered into our yard and I guess it was her way of finding out who I was. She seemed to want to know more about me than me and the neighbor wanted to know about each other.

Yes, I found out she was a she cause her name was GRACE. Know any male named Grace, let me know. Anyway, I found something out about the neighbor other than the fact that our yards were home to a lot of poison ivy. Tell my arms about it. They met a week ago. I wish I met the neighbor then. I would have asked him to get rid of them for me. WHY ? Turns out he ISN'T ALLERGIC to POISON IVY, by some quirk of genetics. or something.

Let me segue into other male territory, this time between father and son, my dad and me.
Found out something about him only recently after a lifetime of avoiding a lot of stuff as well as sharing a lot of grief when the unavoidable happened. But we have a relationship. We talk when we have to which isn't often now cause we live thousands of miles from each other.

Okay, now you know some background, let me cut to the story. He was visiting with us weeks ago and we were having a conversation about SOMETHING OTHER THAN MONEY.
Yes, MONEY, the other five letter word synonymous with another five letter word.
No not GREED. GRIEF.
Yes, the three are synonymous. And they are all about wanting more money if not just plain wanting it.

Anyway, this is not about why they're synonymous. It's more about how my dad and I are connected without really appreciating it sometimes. Money came into the conversation because we got to talking about his expenses. He now lives on fixed income so there's not much wiggle room when some unexpected expense rears its ugly head. But he wasn't worried, not in the same way we younger people worry. It comes with age this thing about worrying less. You know more about what not to worry about. Besides, worry or not, we all won't get out of life alive.

Again, let me get back to what REALLY came out of the conversation. He said that he noticed that he would somehow get the money he needed when or just before he needed it most.
He couldn't explain why or how. He just got what he needed without asking anyone for it.
My dad is not religious, nor is he an atheist. He believes in God but he just doesn't bother praying or going to church as most people do, even in the darkest of moments I've seen him go through.

Okay, so here's the thing. I also have moments when I need a bit more than I have or am expecting. And then, just when I think I'd just go bite the bullet, I find out I don't have to. I get what I need without the hassle of worrying I had put myself through. So there, go figure. It makes me believe in what I have read or heard some people say - that the universe will provide what you need when you need it if you let your need be known. Really. I am not trying to go for weird but that's just the way some things turn out to be and for good.

Two unrelated events on two ordinary days. You wonder sometimes why certain things happen when they happen. I didn't ask to find out nor did I seek out the information. I didn't know anyone immune from poison ivy. Didn't know about my dad's "secret" without my asking. Just like something someone said long ago, that you will find your teacher when you are ready.

Just another day !

No comments: