Tuesday, June 14, 2011

your last day

I was bothered by some thing this morning then got to think of an office friend.
Called her and she got my vibe and said "if something's bothering you, think of today as the last day of your life then see how you would deal with what's bothering you".

I did as she said and soon after I was in tears.
Yes, I cried.

I remembered my mom and the last conscious day of her life.
It was Christmas night 2008.
She had a fatal stroke after dinner.

Let me go back a bit.
A few days before Christmas I called and asked her what she wanted for a gift.
Told me a tube of toothpaste would be fine.
Yes, I was surprised. I asked her to think about it.
She told me she could not think of anything and that a specific brand of toothpaste would do just fine.
I asked her again.
Then she said "I would be happy just to see you and be with you on Christmas".

Truth was I did not feel like making it to the Christams dinner my sisters had planned.
That's another story for another day.
I found myself with my mom and my sisters that night.

And I think my mom was happy but tired as she had been cooking that day.
But I think she was happy and I did get to be with her.
And I still have the tube of toothpaste she asked for.

Today could have been the last day of my life and yes, my day turned out to be a better day.

No comments: